The eGold: electronic encyclopedia of gold in Australia website
Gold! Gold! Gold! The language of the nineteenth-century Australian gold rushes.
- the names of many types of mining techniques and machines are listed and defined in the book
The gold fields and mineral districts of Victoria (available online)
- Robert Brough Smyth's 1869 book includes detailed descriptions and diagrams of mining processes and machinery.
Life on the Australian goldfields
- includes a chapter on early gold mining techniques from across Australia, and includes a wide range of images showing mining technologies from the 1850s onwards.
Life cycle of a goldmine
- an account of the gold mining process that includes information of current gold mining across the world
The following articles may also be of interest. They are both available online:
- Davey, C 1996, 'The origins of Victorian mining technology, 1851-1900', The Artefact, vol. 19, p.52-62. Available online and in print.
- Davey, C & Mc Carthy, P 2002, The development of Victorian gold mining technology, Victorian Historical Journal, vol. 73, no. 1, April, p. 64-92.
Research guide to patents