Research into the history of Australian Rules football, clubs, leagues, games and players, has proliferated in recent years. The internet allows this information to be shared and added to. Below are some useful websites:
Historical statistics & information
- incredible record of all VFL/ AFL matches including every player in every game
- a comprehensive site for the history, culture, and stats of the great Australian game.
- this site allows you to browse through each club's jumper throughout their history - Home, Away/Clash, Heritage, One-off Promotional and Pre-Season Jumpers.
- the full uniforms worn for each season of the VFL/AFL can be viewed and in the club section, all uniforms worn in the clubs history. It also includes WAFL sides.
Leagues & clubs
- AFL clubs all have websites that include historic material; often there will be features on notable players for that club; these can all be accessed for the main AFL site
- coverage of the AFLW. Each of the clubs will have subsites within their club websites
- site covering both the men's and women's VFL competition
- Umpires Association site has current content and also comprehensive historical information on all things to do with the men and women in white
- websites will vary but some have great detail and include historical information, search the internet under clubs and league names.
- Fans Association website, issues from the fans perspective.
- created by supporters this site has an incredible collection of historical information on the Carlton Football Club
- a very well constructed site with much historical content
- great collection of vibrant, analytical and entertaining articles about the modern game
- publish a wide range of stories about football and other sports
- a discontinued site archived on the National & State Libraries Trove site, very detailed information on leagues and clubs
- under the auspices of Museums Victoria this site includes many local history collections including some football clubs, this is a very general search and this is a specific club search.